Tag Archives: pbjelly

Genome Assembly – Olympia Oyster Illumina & PacBio Using PB Jelly w/BGI Scaffold Assembly

After another attempt to fix PB Jelly, I ran it again.

We’ll see how it goes this time…

Re-ran this using the BGI Illumina scaffolds FASTA.

Here’s a brief rundown of how this was run:

See the Jupyter Notebook for full details of run (see Results section below).

Results:

Output folder: http://owl.fish.washington.edu/Athaliana/20171130_oly_pbjelly/

Output FASTA file: http://owl.fish.washington.edu/Athaliana/20171130_oly_pbjelly/jelly.out.fasta

Quast assessment of output FASTA:

Assembly jelly.out
# contigs (>= 0 bp) 696946
# contigs (>= 1000 bp) 159429
# contigs (>= 5000 bp) 68750
# contigs (>= 10000 bp) 35320
# contigs (>= 25000 bp) 7048
# contigs (>= 50000 bp) 894
Total length (>= 0 bp) 1253001795
Total length (>= 1000 bp) 1140787867
Total length (>= 5000 bp) 932263178
Total length (>= 10000 bp) 691523275
Total length (>= 25000 bp) 261425921
Total length (>= 50000 bp) 57741906
# contigs 213264
Largest contig 194507
Total length 1180563613
GC (%) 36.57
N50 12433
N75 5983
L50 26241
L75 60202
# N’s per 100 kbp 6580.58

Have added this assembly to our Olympia oyster genome assemblies table.

This took an insanely long time to complete (nearly six weeks)!!! After some internet searching, I’ve found a pontential solution to this and have initiated another PB Jelly run to see if it will run faster. Regardless, it’ll be interesting to see how the results compare from two independent runs of PB Jelly.

Jupyter Notebook (GitHub): 20171130_emu_pbjelly.ipynb

Share

Troubleshooting – PB Jelly Install on Emu Continued

The last “fix” didn’t fix everything.

This time, I received an error message that was related to blasr. Some internet searching revealed that I needed to have various library files saved to a variable named: $LD_LIBRARY_PATH

To fix this, I added the following line to the /etc/bash.bashrc file:

export "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}:}/home/shared/lib:"

The line uses a fancy bash test to determine if the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable already exists. This is to prevent the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH from having a leading ":".

As usual, the solution to that problem was found courtesy of StackExchange (#162891).

Also, by putting this line in the /etc/bash.bashrc file, it makes the variable available for all users.

Below are some screen caps to document the process:

Realization that PB Jelly still wasn't going to work:

Identify location of file listed in error message:

Add command to /etc/bash.bashrc to set $LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

Verify $LD_LIBRARY_PATH:

Verify blasr can run:

Share

Software Installation – PB Jelly Suite and Blasr on Emu

I followed along with what Sean previously did when installing on Emu, but it appears he didn’t install it in the shared location to make it accessible to all users. So, I’m installing it in the /home/shared/ directory.

First, I need to install legacy blasr from PacBio:

Installed in

cd /home/shared
git clone https://github.com/PacificBiosciences/pitchfork.git
cd pitchfork
git checkout legacy_blasr
make init PREFIX=/home/shared
make blasr  PREFIX=/home/shared

Ran into this error:

make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/shared/pitchfork/ports/thirdparty/zlib'
make -C ports/thirdparty/hdf5 do-install
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/shared/pitchfork/ports/thirdparty/hdf5'
/home/shared/pitchfork/bin/pitchfork fetch --url https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/hdf5-1.8.16/src/hdf5-1.8.16.tar.gz
fetching https://support.hdfgroup.org/ftp/HDF5/releases/hdf5-1.8.16/src/hdf5-1.8.16.tar.gz
tar zxf hdf5-1.8.16.tar.gz -C /home/shared/pitchfork/workspace

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Makefile:23: recipe for target '/home/shared/pitchfork/workspace/hdf5-1.8.16' failed
make[1]: *** [/home/shared/pitchfork/workspace/hdf5-1.8.16] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/shared/pitchfork/ports/thirdparty/hdf5'
Makefile:211: recipe for target 'hdf5' failed
make: *** [hdf5] Error 2

Luckily, I came across this GitHub Issue that addresses this exact problem.

I found the functional URL and downloaded the hdf5-1.8.16.tar.gz file to pitchfork/ports/thirdparty/hdf5. Re-ran make blasr PREFIX=/home/shared and things proceeded without issue. As Sean noted, this part takes a long time.

Load the setup-env.sh (this is located here: /home/shared/pitchfork/setup-env.sh

source setup-env.sh

Blasr install is complete!

Then, install networkx v1.1, per the PB Jelly documentation:

python pip -m install networkx==1.1

On to PB Jelly!

Edited the setup.sh file and entered in the path to the PB Jelly install on Emu (/home/shared/PBSuite_15.8.24/):

#/bin/bash

#If you use a virtual env - source it here
#source /hgsc_software/PBSuite/pbsuiteVirtualEnv/bin/activate

#This is the path where you've install the suite.
export SWEETPATH=/home/shared/PBSuite_15.8.24/
#for python modules 
export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:$SWEETPATH
#for executables 
export PATH=$PATH:$SWEETPATH/bin/

Test it out with the test data:

  1. Edit the following file to reflect the paths on Emu to find this test data: /home/shared/PBSuite_15.8.24/docs/jellyExample/Protocol.xml

<jellyProtocol>
    <reference>/home/shared/PBSuite_15.8.24/docs/jellyExample/data/reference/lambda.fasta</reference>
    <outputDir>/home/shared/PBSuite_15.8.24/docs/jellyExample/</outputDir>
    <blasr>-minMatch 8 -minPctIdentity 70 -bestn 1 -nCandidates 20 -maxScore -500 -nproc 4 -noSplitSubreads</blasr>
    <input baseDir="/home/shared/PBSuite_15.8.24/docs/jellyExample/data/reads/">
        <job>filtered_subreads.fastq</job>
    </input>
</jellyProtocol>

I went through all the stages of the test data and got through it successfully. Seems ready to roll!

Share