Oyster Filtration Project – Day 2

Today, went much more smoothly.

We took one more water sample. The oysters at this time have had a full 24hr to eat Laby to their heart’s content. We took out the oysters and dissected each one (60 total). We cut a cross section for histology that we preserved in a formalin-based fixative. Then we saved a bit of each oyster’s gill tissue and digestive gland tissue for detecting Laby via PCR. We also placed small pieces of these same tissues onto SSA media to try to confirm the presence of Laby via culturing. The last component was trying to visualize Laby in the feces of the oysters, via cell counts on a hemocytometer. Oysters that were not inoculated with Laby either had no Laby detected or only one cell visible. In contrast, Laby was consistently seen in the feces of oysters that had been inoculated with Laby yesterday. This may mean that there are still Laby in these beakers to try to infect the eelgrass.

For all the samples were collected, 3 young shoots of eelgrass were added to each of the beakers. WE will change the seawater in these beakers daily since there is no aeration via stirbar motion. WE will monitor these eelgrass blades over time to look for the presence of lesions.

I can’t wait to see what happens.

 

Leave a Reply