Hydra: a step towards marine telemetry data sharing

Today I finally was able to log on to Hydra a web site that facilitates data sharing among researchers who track the movements of aquatic animals in the Pacific Northwest, U.S.

Hydra logo

The whole proprietary tag/receiver technology maintained by Vemco leaves a *lot* to be desired from an open science perspective.  By all rights they should be the ones making it easy for their users to share data.  But Vemco has dominated the market and played defensively for so long that the community here in the progressive Northwest was forced to create Hydra to enable some degree of organized collaboration and data sharing.

As we finish up the final field work for our study of how adult (lackmouth) salmon move in the San Juan Islands, today I’m cleaning up receivers, offloading data, uploading detection files to Hydra, and preparing the receivers to be returned to their owners.  Also, I organized and uploaded to Flickr a bunch of photos from the project.

Data management progress:

  • Reset Panasonic toughbook clock to NIST
  • All metadata in Google spreadsheet of San Juan Fish telemetry study
  • Verified data offloaded from Iceberg and Patos receivers (101004, 110848) and prepared for storage
  • Offloaded data from previous batch of recoveries (9 receivers) and backed up all data to cloud
  • Still need to offload data from latest batch of recoveries (5 receivers)
  • Still need to try uploading to Hydra…
  • When interpreting results, be sure which time Vue exports: local or GMT!  Checking in the Vue software options, I see time is set to UTC.

More progress on 11/14/13:

  • Uploaded yesterday’s csv files to Hydra after verifying that drift was no more than 5 minutes for any deployment during our study.
  • Updated metadata, including: made new sheet to match Receiver Deployment upload format, copied metadata to it, then converted recover dates to End_Date column; then converted all lon/lat pairs to decimal degree format (and checked/corrected all for accuracy via Google map of deployments)
  • At first attempt at deployment metadata upload, I got “Manufacturer” error.  I tried re-formatting Google spreadsheet date as YYYY-MM-DD, removed a () from a site name, removed all blank lines before downloading the .csv file, and then simplified the file name (no spaces) before re-uploading.  That got me this error:
    Unable to parse start date: Date string was 2011-11-15, and did not match YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS or MM/DD/YYYY (time data '2011-11-15' does not match format '%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S')
  • Then I tried switching back to the Google date format of MM/DD/YY even though the output CSV file does not display double digits for the first 9 months or days (e.g. 3/4/2013 not 03/04/2013).  Hydra didn’t seem to mind about that though –
  • receivers-recovered-mmddyyyy.csv processed successfully, Deployment File, 32 rows, 0 rejected.
  • Finished offloading data from last batch of 5 receivers (but did not open cases as they still need final cleaning): 101589, 100914, 101594, 101621, 108402.

More progress on 11/15/13:

  • Backup and upload 5 most recent data files.
  • Experiment with Hydra mapping and sharing functionality (seems to leave a lot to be desired wrt figuring out anything about the actual fish whose tags we’ve detected), finish feedback email to Hydra administrators, and send it.
  • Emailed Anna+ with updates, links, and .zip of latest data files
  • Upload to Google workbook and compare 2012-2013 tag list with rough notes on detections (column P).  I find zero overlap.  Bummer!