Plasmid Isolation – Clam RLO 16s, EHR, & EUB clones

Prepared 1x LB + 50μg/mL ampicillin. Aliquoted 5mL of LB-Amp50 liquid media to 18 15mL conical tubes. Used the restreaked plates created 20150207 and used sterile pipette tips to select each of the six positive colonies from each cloning reaction and inoculate 5mL of LB-Amp50 liquid media. Tubes were incubated O/N @ 37C on a rocker.

All cultures grew. Three milliliters from each culture were used to isolate plasmid DNA using the QIAprep Spin Mini Kit (Qiagen). Samples were eluted with 50μL Buffer EB.

Frozen bacterial stocks were made from each of the six clones, using 500μL of each bacterial culture + 500μL of sterile, 50% glycerol in 2mL screw cap tubes.

Bacterial stocks and plasmid preps were labelled in the following fashion:

  • pCR2.1/Clam RLO 16s C1 – C6
  • pCR2.1/Clam RLO EHR C1 – C6
  • pCR2.1/Clam RLO EUB C1 – C6

where “C#” indicates the clone number. The bacterial stocks were stored @ -80C in the following box “Clones Box 2″:

 

Plasmid preps were quantified on the Roberts Lab NanoDrop1000.

Results:

Spreadsheet: 20150305_ClamRLO_miniprep_ODs

After speaking with Carolyn, she decided she wanted to sequence one clone from each group. Submitted ~500ng of clone #1 (C1) from each group to GENEWIZ for Sanger sequencing (Order #: 10-290123409). Each clone was sequenced from each direction with M13F (-21) and M13R primers for a total of 6 sequencing reactions:

1       SW01    16s_01-M13F(-21)
2       SW02    16s_02-M13R
3       SW03    EHR_01-M13F(-21)
4       SW04    EHR_02-M13R
5       SW05    EUB_01-M13F(-21)
6       SW06    EUB_02-M13R

Plasmid Isolation – Withering Syndrome Phage pCR2.1/ORF20 and pCR2.1/ORF25

From cloning on 20140908, inoculated 5mL of 1x LB + 100ug/mL ampicillin with pCR2.1/ORF20 clone # 7 and pCR2.1/ORF25 clone #1. Incubated O/N @ 37C on rocker. Isolated plasmids with QIAprep Mini Kit (Qiagen) according to the manufacturer’s spin protocol, using ~3mL of culture. Eluted plasmid DNA with 100uL of EB Buffer.

Frozen bacterial stocks of each were made. 1mL of each culture was mixed with 1mL of 50% glycerol (sterile) and stored @ -80C

NOTE: Ended up diluting the pCR2.1/ORF25 by adding an additional 100uL of EB Buffer because it seemed too concentrated for proper quantification using the plate reader.

Spec’d plasmid DNA using Teacan plate reader and Pico green dye, according to lab protocol.

Results:

Spec’ing via the Teacan plate reader is not working (see separate entry regarding this).

Spec’d using NanoDrop1000:

Plasmids look great; excellent yields and quality. Will prepare some for linearization for use as standard curves and will use some for making a probe for in-situ hybridization.

Bacteria Cultures – p16RK3-A, B, & C Clones from 5/2004

We identified a usable clone for the RLP qPCR assay that contains the entire GenBank sequence (AF133090), instead of the partial (and incorrect) clone that Lisa and I had used previously (see 20120323); leading to a month’s worth of qPCRs that failed to produce the expected, and desired, results. This clone is vector pCR2.1 (Invitrogen) containing the full GenBank sequence, AF133090).

Since the p16RK3-C clone failed to grow yesterday, decided to make cultures from all three frozen stocks of p16RK3 to ensure that at least one will grow.

Three 5mL O/N cultures in LB+Amp (100ug/mL) were inoculated directly from the frozen stocks and grown at 37C on a rocker in a 15mL conical tube.

Results:

All three cultures failed to grow. Left cultures in incubator on rocker. Will make some LB and LB+Amp plates and try streaking out all three frozen stocks. Also will try growing the frozen stocks in liquid LB (no Amp) O/N in hopes of getting a culture for mini prep.